“We’ll see you right”
0800 484 667


Some sheds can be built without a building consent under certain conditions.

A single-storey pole or hay barn in a rural zone doesn’t require a building consent under certain conditions.

You can build a single-storey pole shed or hay barn in a rural zone without building consent if:

  • the design has been carried out or reviewed by a Chartered Professional Engineer, or a Licensed Building Practitioner has carried out or supervised design and construction.
  • design wind speeds do not exceed 44 metres per second (High wind zone).
  • the building is not more than 1 storey (being a floor level of up to 1 metre above the supporting ground and a height of up to 4 metres above the floor level).
  • the maximum unsupported roof span in any direction does not exceed 6 metres.
  • the building does not exceed 110 square metres in floor area.
  • the building has a minimum distance from any residential building, public road, rail or legal boundary at least equal to the measure of its own height.
  • the building is not subject to the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996.
  • the building is not accessible by the public (i.e. Building Importance Level 1).

Check if you need a consent.

Talk to an expert